Thursday, April 23, 2009

A Confession

I have something to confess to. Now I know this will shock and distress many of you, but I just have to say it. Okay…here goes…..I hate housework! There – it’s said. I feel better now.

Housecleaning was never a priority in my home while growing up. I love my mom and she has many - many wonderful qualities, but she never taught me how to clean. She never stood by my side and showed me how to clean a toilet, scrub the floors, or anything else. And let me say – I am paying for it now. What I know about cleaning, I have pretty much taught myself or asked other people questions about cleaning tips. I am a work in progress in becoming a cleaning fanatic. I doubt I’ll ever get to that point – but I’m working on it.

My goal as a mother: teach my kids to clean so that they will be much better at it than I.
I have tried to stand by their side and show them some of the tips I have learned over the years. I’m finding it sometimes takes standing by their side many times over. I am persistent though. They will learn, even if it kills me or them. And let me say, they think it is killing them. Here’s to survival!

3 comments:

Teri's Life said...

Well, my mom didn't teach my brothers how to clean. Unfortunately for Paula and I growing up - we ended up cleaning the house all the time. I hate to clean the house if other people are in it - but give me a full day with no one around and I'll do it =)

Becki Bigler-Smith said...

I, on the other hand LOVE to clean. With 5 boys it's not an easy task to always have a clean house, but I'll guarantee you if you were to walk into our home, you'd never know we had that many children....unless you came through the garage and saw the umpteen million shoes in front of the door....there's nothing better than the fresh smell of pinesol or bleach. My family says I am obsessed with cleaning. Plus my husband just bought me a Dyson vacuum.....now I can't stop!!!

Lisa said...

I am the SAME way. I'm not very domestic and I HATE housework. Yuck. You'd think we had grown up in the same home or something. . . :-)

Wish we could see each others houses sometime!

Your loving sister,
Lisa